Aren’t Demons just so much fun? This one is not only a 4/4 Flying for 4 mana but it also gives optional exile for extra value. It’s definitely a lot more synergy than value but I wanted to give at least one infinite combo with it.
- Nightmare Shepherd, Ashnod’s Altar, and Eternal Scourge on the battlefield.
- Sacrifice Eternal Scourge to Ashnod’s Altar for 2 mana.
- Trigger Nightmare Shepherd and exile Eternal Scourge to create a 1/1 Nightmare creature token of Eternal Scourge.
- Sacrifice the token to Ashnod’s Altar for 2 mana.
- Cast Eternal Scourge from exile.
- Repeat, net 1 mana each time for infinite colourless mana, enter the battlefield triggers, and die triggers.
Easy enough, right? If you’re running Eternal Scourge you may be running a Food Chain combo anyhow so a backup is always good. How would you spend the infinite colourless mana? If infinite colourless mana isn’t good enough, then how would you use Nightmare Shepherd? Theros: Beyond Death spoilers may be over but the card combos are just beginning. Now I did say it’s more synergy than combos so let’s just name some quick options for each colour that would be great to bring back as a Nightmare token.
- White: Sun Titan, Recruiter of the Guard, Loyal Retainer, Avacyn, Angel of Hope
- Blue: Palinchron, Deadeye Navigator, Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir, Laboratory Maniac, Snapcaster Mage
- Black: Sidisi, Undead Vizier, Kokusho, the Evening Star, Massacre Wurm, Noxious Gearhulk, Mindslicer
- Red: Keldon Firebombers, Avalanche Rider, Inferno Titan, Magus of the Moon, Neheb, the Eternal
- Green: Eternal Witness, Woodland Bellower, Avenger of Zendikar, Craterhoof Behemoth, Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
- Multicolour: Queen Marchesa, Ghave, Guru of Spores, Reyhan, Last of the Abzan, Dragonlord Silumgar, Kroxa, Titan of Death’s Hunger
- Colourless: Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, Myr Battlesphere, Duplicant, Solemn Simulacrum
Those were just the ones I think of, and it can get even crazier with Doubling Season effects. What would you use Nightmare Shepherd with? Let me know!
Support Command Beacon by:
- Press the
- Leaving a comment